Friday, December 12, 2008

Baby Jesus

Did you know that there are children that don't know who Baby Jesus is? That have never heard that Name?

I met a child who was telling me all about Santa and the fun of Christmas. And, I innocently agreed with her about all the great things about Christmas -- and I said, and we have Baby Jesus' birthday.

And, then she stopped. And, she looked at me completely confused. Like, "who is that?" And, then she just kept going with her Christmas prattle.

I'm sure this is not an isolated incident. I have never been so sad -- and disillusioned.

How do we live in a "Christian society" -- where children look at lights and blowup santas and snowmen but don't recognize a nativity? Don't even know what it's there for?

And, what do I do with this information? How do I even begin to share -- and will I offend/embarass her "Christian" parents if I try to tell her. How do you not communicate the most beautiful love story ever written -- to your CHILDREN?

I feel a sad truth sinking in -- that I just haven't done enough. That there isn't enough time to stop the bleeding. What happens to generations of families that don't share the story? That don't know how much God loves them. What happens to those families when the bottom falls out -- and they have no idea where to turn? They don't know that there is a God who is holding out His hand to just lift them to their feet and out of the mire? And, even more, will pick them up and carry them and release the burden? Who is more powerful and loving than I will ever pretend to understand? How can you not tell? How can you not shout it from the rooftops?

As much as I hate the "in your face Christianity" that wears religion on its sleeve. I understand that a true passion for people is often at the root -- that human weakness turns zeal into control.

I can't change hearts. But, God can. And, so I release control -- to allow God to use me to fight the battle without manufacturing the outcome.




"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." -- Luke 2:10-11

No comments: