Sunday, January 5, 2014

Day 1: Getting started (again)

I have had the urge to really write again for awhile. I recognize that not only my grammar and spelling have fallen far off the mark -- but even my thought processes seem to have faltered. So, I am taking the 500-word, 31-day challenge for no other reason than I need a reason to just practice.

And, who knows, maybe this 31-day challenge turns into an every day sort of thing, but the truth is I need the discipline. The next discipline I need to tackle is goal setting -- and with that some time management.
Last year was quite a year. Without any real goals set, we grew closer as a family and we found a church. I wore myself out working and working out. I managed to lose 20 lbs, although it seems like it should have been more for as hard as tried. But, I will take the 20 all the same.

2014 I want more. I want to keep the growth we've made as a family. I want to lose another 20 lbs, but would take more if my body will allow it. I would like to find some friends that live closer. I would like to work smarter  -- I don't think I can work any harder. I would like to work out again. I love my gym, but work has so taken over my life in the last few months, that I never seem to have time. Or, when I have the time, my body needs to rest more than it needs to work.

Bottomline, I really just want to be more intentional with my time. I want my God and my family to come long before work. And, yet, I am driven to do well at work, and I feel that I need to honor my abilities there also. Did I mention I would like to go back to school and finish my masters -- and take
one more year to entertain having a child of my own? My plate is filling fast...

I guess I really need to prioritize a bit. :) Okay, maybe I need to prioritize a lot.

Word count: 358. 142 words to go, less now, I guess. Yikes. This writing exercise makes me feel like I am in my first master's class, writing my first research paper and constantly checking the word count to see how much farther I have to go.

Today is the beginning. The beginning of challenge. The beginning of change. While it is all I can do to squeak out these last few words. At least I am squeaking. And, tomorrow, when I am at the gym for the first time in 3 months. I will be slowly doing burpees and jumping rope, so I don't pass out from exhaustion before my 30 minutes is over. But, at least I am jumping. It's a start.

No comments: