Sunday, July 27, 2008

Good and perfect gifts

I was on Facebook the other day chatting with my friend, Cindy. She knows well, as do all of my friends, that growing great kids has always been a dream of mine. So, she thoughtfully encouraged me with the comment that I will make a great mom someday.

So, I said, "I would relish being a mother. But, the reality is, I may just get to enjoy other people's children. What I know for sure is, God loves me enough to give me the best. Either will be a gift."

That statement is still ringing in my ears. Frankly, I'm surprised that it came from me. I certainly don't always feel that way. Most of the time, I'm just dumbfounded that I don't have the classic American family. I get a knot in my stomach when I face the reality that I may be single and childless for the rest of my life.

But, it's true. If I believe that God provides. If I believe that God loves me more than ANYONE (and, there are a lot of people who love me a lot). If I believe that I have a relationship with a deeply personal God who knows the innermost desires of my heart. If I believe that God knows the worst about me and chooses the best for me, then I have to believe that everything He allows in my life is a gift. Even if it doesn't feel like it. Even if my circumstances make me angry or sad.

The fact is, everything that has ever happened to me -- the good and the bad -- He has worked out to teach me more about Himself -- without fail. And, the more I learn more about Him, the more I am interested in furthering His kingdom and extending His love.



Praise to the Lord, Who o'er all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?
Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.

No comments: